The drug Lasix is a diuretic that is prescribed to patients with high blood pressure and swelling.
Form of release and medicinal composition
Lasix is available in the form of tablets for oral use in strips of aluminum foil of 10 or 15 pieces in a cardboard box with the attached detailed description.
Each tablet contains 40 mg of the active active ingredient Furosemide. In addition, the tablet contains a number of chemical auxiliary components, including lactose monohydrate.
Lasix is a fast acting diuretic, a sulfonamide derivative. Active ingredient of the drug prevents the transport of sodium, potassium and chlorine in the thick ascending limb segment of loop of Henle. Under the influence of the drug, the outflow of urine increases, simultaneously with which the excretion of magnesium and calcium ions is enhanced.
In heart failure, the drug quickly eliminates the increased load due to varicose veins, lowers blood pressure in the pulmonary artery and the intensity of the blood supply to the heart’s left ventricle.
The drug has a pronounced hypotensive effect due to increased elimination of sodium ions, a decrease in the volume of the circulating fluid and a decrease in the tone of the smooth muscles of the vessels.
After taking the pill inward therapeutic effect of Furosemide is observed after 1 hour and remains for 5 hours.
- Chronic renal failure with marked edema;
- Heart failure in a chronic form, accompanied by edema of the lower extremities;
- Acute renal failure in pregnant women;
- Nephropathy with severe edema in the complex treatment;
- Arterial hypertension, hypertensive crisis;
- Pregnancy gestosis.
The drug is taken orally only as directed by a doctor. Before starting therapy, it is recommended that you carefully read the instructions for the tablets. Lasix is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- Renal insufficiency with the phenomena of anuria or a significant decrease in daily diuresis;
- Comatose conditions accompanied by impaired liver function;
- Pronounced hyponatremia and hypokalemia;
- Dehydration of the body;
- Severely low blood pressure;
- Acute inflammatory diseases of the urinary tract, accompanied by a violation of the outflow of urine;
- Acute glomerulonephritis;
- Aortic or mitral stenosis;
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with obstruction phenomena;
- Age in children under 3 years;
- The period of breastfeeding;
- Individual hypersensitivity to the constituents of the preparation.
With care, tablets are taken in the presence of the following conditions:
- Acute myocardial infarction due to a high risk of developing cardiogenic shock;
- Latent flow of diabetes mellitus;
- Gout ;
- Systemic lupus erythematosus;
- Kidney of the kidney;
- Arrhythmia of the ventricles of the heart;
- Hypertrophy of the prostate in men;
Method of administration and dosage regimen
Tablets Lasix should be taken on an empty stomach, immediately swallowing, squeezed with a small amount of water. The dose of the drug is calculated by the doctor, trying to limit the minimal, but quite effective. Dosage depends on the patient’s body weight, age and degree of severity of the pathological condition. For children, the daily dose should not exceed 40 mg, divided into several doses. The duration of the course of treatment is determined on the basis of the indications and severity of the clinical condition.
Patients with chronic heart failure with severe edema are prescribed Lasix in the lowest effective dosage starting from ½ tablets, if necessary increasing the dose. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 80 mg or 2 tablets of the drug, which is divided into several doses.
In chronic renal failure with edematic syndrome, the initial dose is 1 tablet per day divided into 2 divided doses of 0.5 tablets. With an insufficiently expressed therapeutic effect, the dose is increased under the supervision of the doctor.
With hypertensive crisis and increased arterial pressure, the daily initial dose of the drug is ½ tablet, which is taken at a time or divided by 1/4. With an insufficiently expressed effect, the dose is slightly increased, however, it is permissible to take no more than 80 mg of Lasix per day.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Furosemide crosses the placenta to the fetus, and the vessels, although embryotoxic effect has not been found, but the drug is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Lasix tablets can be given to pregnant women only if there are serious life indications, when the benefit is many times greater than the probable risks. During therapy with the drug, the expectant mother must constantly be under the supervision of a doctor who will regularly evaluate the vital parameters of the fetus.
During breastfeeding Lasix medication contraindicated because Furosemide easily excreted in breast milk and is able to inhibit lactation. If this diuretic is necessary, breastfeeding should be discontinued.
Against the backdrop of the use of Lasix in an inadequate dosing regimen, the patient quickly develops negative side reactions:
- From the side of the water-salt balance – a decrease in blood levels of potassium, sodium, chlorine, magnesium, calcium, against which metabolic alkalosis and the disruption of the function of the kidneys and other vital organs are rapidly developing;
- Risk of thrombosis development on the background of changes in water-electrolyte balance;
- Increase in serum levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, fats;
- From the side of the cardiovascular system – a rapid decline in blood pressure, dizziness , weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, vascular insufficiency, collapse;
- Decreased glucose tolerance;
- Acute urinary retention, development of hydronephrosis, hematuria, glomerulonephritis;
- From the side of the digestive canal – nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, intrahepatic cholestasis, increased activity of liver transaminases;
- Reversible hearing impairment;
- Feeling of “crawling” on the body.
In addition, in individuals prone to allergic reactions, it is possible to develop rashes, hives and itching of the skin.
When ingesting large doses of the drug, there is an increase in the above-listed side effects, as well as suppression of the function of vital organs with the development of severe cardiac, renal and hepatic insufficiency.
With the development of signs of an overdose, the patient is immediately provided with medical care: washed the stomach, injected with enterosorbents, restores the optimal level of electrolytes in the blood by means of droppers, monitors the vital signs and, if necessary, provides emergency medical care.
Interaction of the drug with other drugs
When Furosemide is combined with cardiac glycosides, the risk of toxic damage to the heart muscle increases.
With the simultaneous administration of the drug with laxatives, glucocorticosteroids, Carbenoxolone increases the likelihood of hypokalemia. When the interaction of Lasix with aminoglycosides increases the likelihood of developing nephrotoxic reactions, therefore, such a combination of drugs should be avoided.
Simultaneous use of diuretics with drugs from the group of cephalosporins increases the likelihood of toxic kidney damage.
When the drug is combined with NSAIDs or acetylsalicylic acid, the diuretic effect may be suppressed, which will require correction of the dose of Furosemide.
It is not recommended to combine this diuretic with hypotensive drugs, as the risk of developing severe hypotension increases. If this drug interaction is necessary, a minimally effective dose of a diuretic should be selected under the supervision of a doctor.
Under the influence of Furosemide, the therapeutic effect of hypoglycemic agents may decrease, which should be taken into account by persons suffering from diabetes and against the background of Laziksom therapy to regularly monitor blood glucose levels.
Theophylline, Diazoxide and muscle relaxants under the influence of Lasix enhance their therapeutic effect.
Patients with impaired renal function when using radiocontrast agents with furosemide therapy should be very cautious, as the burden on the kidneys increases, which can aggravate the patient’s condition.
Before starting this diuretic, the patient should be examined for impaired renal function, especially if daily diuresis is significantly reduced.
During therapy, the drug should monitor the operation of vital organs, especially if the patient is forced to take Lasik in large doses. Unauthorized increase in the dose of the drug may lead to the development of signs of overdose and severe hypovolemia. At the slightest signs of violations of the water-electrolyte balance, the treatment is immediately canceled and symptomatic treatment is carried out if necessary.
Since the use of tablets in patients may be dizzy and weak, then during this period should refrain from controlling the car and complex mechanisms that require increased concentration.
Analogs of the drug Lasix are the following:
- Furosemide-Teva No.
Before replacing the product with the listed analogs, you should clarify the daily dose of the doctor.